Skip to Content
The Puppy Mag is an Amazon associate and earns a commission for qualifying purchases. Affiliate Disclosure

Dogs Can NOT Eat Nature Valley Bars: (this is why)

As a dog owner, it’s essential to be aware of what your furry friend is consuming.

Certain human foods can be harmful or even toxic to dogs, and Nature Valley bars are no exception.

In this article, we’ll be taking a closer look at whether dogs can eat Nature Valley bars and what you need to know to keep your pup safe and healthy.

In short, dogs should not consume nature valley bars for five good reasons: sugar, chocolate, salt, nuts, xylitol. Many of the ingredients in nature valley bars may be delicious, but can be toxic for our dogs.

dogs nature valley bar

5 Key Reasons Why Nature Valley Bars Are Bad for Dogs

Nature Valley bars are not a suitable option for your dog’s diet due to their ingredients. They contain sugar, salt, and chocolate, all of which can be harmful to dogs in large amounts.


Dogs can technically consume sugar, but it’s not recommended in large amounts.

Too much sugar can lead to obesity, dental problems, and other health issues in dogs. Nature Valley bars contain a significant amount of sugar, so it’s best to avoid feeding them to your dog.


Like sugar, salt is another ingredient that can be harmful to dogs in large amounts.

Excessive salt intake can lead to dehydration, kidney problems, and other health issues. Nature Valley bars contain salt as an ingredient, so it’s best to steer clear of them for your dog.


Perhaps the most concerning ingredient in Nature Valley bars for dogs is chocolate. Chocolate contains a compound called theobromine, which can be toxic to dogs in large quantities.

The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. Nature Valley bars often contain chocolate chips or chunks, which can pose a serious risk to your dog if consumed in large amounts.

Nuts and Xylitol: Additional Concerns for Dogs

In addition to the sugar, salt, and chocolate found in Nature Valley bars, there are a few other ingredients that dog owners should be aware of. Two of these ingredients are nuts and xylitol.


Many Nature Valley bars contain nuts, which can be a healthy snack for humans but can pose a risk to dogs. Some nuts, like macadamia nuts, can cause vomiting, fever, and lethargy in dogs. Other nuts, like almonds, are not toxic to dogs but can cause gastrointestinal upset if consumed in large quantities.

If your dog has eaten a Nature Valley bar that contains nuts, monitor them closely for any signs of illness or distress. If they exhibit any symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.


Xylitol is a sugar substitute that’s often used in sugar-free snacks and chewing gum. While it’s safe for humans to consume, xylitol can be highly toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause a rapid insulin release, which can lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver failure in dogs.

Fortunately, most Nature Valley bars do not contain xylitol. However, it’s still important to be vigilant when it comes to reading ingredient labels and keeping any xylitol-containing products out of your dog’s reach.

ASPCA: Toxic foods for dogs

What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Whole Nature Valley Bar

If your dog has eaten a whole Nature Valley bar, it’s important to monitor them closely for any signs of illness or distress.

Depending on the size of your dog and the amount of chocolate in the bar, they may experience symptoms of chocolate poisoning.

These can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Restlessness
  • Seizures.

It’s crucial to contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog shows any symptoms of chocolate poisoning.

Theobromine can stay in a dog’s system for up to 72 hours, so even if your dog seems fine initially, they may still be at risk of developing symptoms.

Chocolate & Raisin Poisoning Indications

If your dog has eaten a Nature Valley bar that contains chocolate and raisins, it’s crucial to take action right away.

Raisins and grapes can be toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure in some cases. Symptoms of raisin poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and a loss of appetite.

If your dog has consumed raisins, it’s essential to seek veterinary care immediately. Your veterinarian may induce vomiting to prevent the raisins from being absorbed by your dog’s system.

They may also administer activated charcoal to help bind any remaining toxins in your dog’s stomach.

Does This Warrant a Vet Visit?

If your dog has only eaten a small amount of a Nature Valley bar that doesn’t contain chocolate or raisins, they may be okay.

However, if they’ve consumed a large amount or a bar that contains these toxic ingredients, it’s best to err on the side of caution and seek veterinary care.

Your veterinarian can perform a physical exam and may recommend blood work or other tests to check for signs of poisoning or other health issues. They can also provide guidance on how to manage any symptoms your dog may be experiencing.

Last Thoughts

In conclusion, it’s not a good idea to feed your dog Nature Valley bars. These snacks contain sugar, salt, and chocolate, all of which can be harmful to your dog’s health in large amounts.

If your dog has accidentally consumed a whole Nature Valley bar, monitor them closely for any signs of illness or distress, and contact your veterinarian immediately if they exhibit any symptoms of chocolate or raisin poisoning.

As a responsible dog owner, it’s important to be aware of what your dog is consuming and to keep them away from foods that can be harmful to their health.

Stick to a balanced diet of high-quality dog food and treats specifically designed for dogs, and always consult with your veterinarian if you have any concerns about your dog’s health or nutrition.

Remember, your dog’s well-being is your top priority, and taking steps to keep them safe and healthy is essential to their long-term health and happiness.


Before making any decisions that could affect the health and/or safety of your dog, you should always consult a trained veterinarian in your local area. Even though this content may have been written/reviewed by a trained veterinarian, our advice to you is to always consult your own local veterinarian in person. Please read our full dislcaimer if you have any questions.